Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Weight Loss Wednesday: Does It Get Easier?

My brother and sister in law came into town this past weekend. It was a total surprise. I had planned for a quiet, lazy weekend but instead quickly became busy with meals, outings, and LOTS of laughter.

Over dinner on Sunday evening, Sara asked me a few questions about my weight loss. Most of her questions were pretty easy. I am used to telling people about my eating plans and workout routines. But her toughest question was this

"Does it get any easier?".

I thought about it, sighed, and then told her the truth.

No.

Sorry to burst your bubbles. Please don't let that stop you. But, it just doesn't magically become easier. I still have to force myself to go to the gym. I still have to count every calorie.

In some ways, it's almost gotten harder. I have become a little more lenient, which could break me if I am not careful. I will think things like "dude, I've lost 80 lbs... I can eat this whole pie...". But no, I can't. I have to keep going. Because if I take one day off, I'll start to take 2 days off. And then 3. And then I will just stop all together. So I can't do that.

Today I had to go out for lunch. I got my usual low calorie, low carb sandwich from Potbelly. But then I decided I REALLY wanted macaroni salad as a side. I didn't look up the calories before I corded it. But I should have. 415 calories for a tiny little plastic container of Macaroni Salad. Plus, too many grams of fat. Oops.

It was a mistake, and I can't let it bring me down or to ruin the rest of my day. I will do a hard workout tonight, eat a healthy dinner, and do better tomorrow.

My crazy work schedule has slowed down a little- it's still crazy and there is a lot to do before October, but I am mostly in the office or working from home...which gives me the ability back to set my schedules, plan my meals, and cook at home. That's a huge relief.

I can't be too hard on myself when I slip, but I also can't let myself make excuses and continue to slip. I still have a ways to go. I am still overweight. I am about 60 lbs to go until I hit my goal weight. This isn't over, folks!

I did step on the scale Tuesday morning and I am .2 lbs away from reaching 80. So we'll just say 80 :) I seemed to have dropped 1-2 lbs each week for the past couple weeks, and I am sort of just waiting for a plateau to hit again. But in the mean time I will keep working!

No comments: