Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Weight Loss Wednesday

This week, I want to share some of my OTHER successes besides pounds lost. As many of you know I have been frustrated in recent weeks that the scale is not reflecting much of anything. Several people have told me to quit worrying about it. My Zumba teacher told me when she was losing weight, she lost 10 inches but the scale only said 6 lbs. So, I am listening to those around me and not worrying. I just keep on working out and eating healthy!


  • I can keep up with my Zumba instructor. In fact, sometimes I am a step ahead of her. Zumba is a tough workout, and you need quick feet. I feel GREAT after. For the first few months of taking Zumba, I would take a very long water break 1/2 way through the class to stall going back in.
  • I can dead lift 50 lbs
  • I can do sit ups. Never been able to do them before. I did 25 of them today.
  • I can plank for 15 seconds. This doesn't seem like much, I realize, but a few months ago I was only at 3 seconds.
  • I am much, much faster. Still not as fast as I want to be, but faster.
  • I just had to shrink a bunch of my shirts because they are so big on me that I am swimming in them.
  • I burn up to 400 calories on the elliptical in 35-40 minutes because I go at a very high resistance.
  • I kind of love my biceps.
And, ladies and gents, something I am most proud of:

I fit into a size large shirt from The Limited. I kid you not, I had tears in my eyes when I put the shirt on. It was given to me by a friend who was cleaning out her closet. I looked at the size and pushed the shirt aside, thinking it will never fit me. I loved the style though, and really wanted to wear it. So I gave it a shot- and it fit well! I tried another one on today, just as a test, and it fit perfectly. Why is this such a big deal for me? Because I haven't been able to shop in a "regular" store in about ten years. Sure, I can shop at Kohls or Old Navy, but only in the Plus section. Stores like The Limited, Gap, American Eagle? No way, sister. Even their "xl" or "xxl" were way too small for me. Whenever I went shopping with my friends, I just sat there while they tried stuff on because I knew it wouldn't fit me. Now I can enter a regular store and find  clothes that fit my body. I don't have to be restricted to Avenue or Lane Bryant or Torrid. This was huge for me. This was one of those moments that I will never forget. 

I am becoming so confident, so comfortable with my body. I haven't been able to say that in a very long time- maybe ever. That in itself is a celebration, my friends.



No comments: