Thursday, April 10, 2014

Ireland

Okay, so I've never actually been to Ireland, but it still makes me pretty happy. Maybe it's part of my imagination or maybe it is as wonderful as I assume it is. Hopefully one day I will find out. It is my dream vacation spot. Everyone says to travel young, before it gets "too late", but those people haven't seen my student loan statements. I can't travel now. I hope that one day I can. Ireland will be the first place that I will go.

I am about 90% Irish, which is obviously a large part of the appeal to Ireland. I want to see my heritage, I want to LIVE and breathe my heritage. Another reason is the connection to the Sisters of Mercy, who founded my high school. I am still involved with the Sisters as an Associate. The Sisters began in Ireland when their founder, and one of my biggest role models, Catherine McAuley, opened a house on Baggot Street.

I want to visit that house. I want to hug the Sisters over there and thank them. I want to share my story with them and hear their stories.

When I think about one day stepping foot in Ireland, I feel a sense of peace. I want to see the gorgeous green and the historic churches. I want to hear the thick accents and the chit chat of the Irish people. I want to hold a Celtic cross in one hand and a shamrock in the other. I want to taste a Guinness and Fish and Chips in a local Irish pub.

I love to hear others tell me their tales of traveling to Ireland. My sister studied abroad there for a semester in college. I wish I had done that. I got all the information, was ready to get the ball rolling, and then just...didn't. It was at a weird time in my life, and I really regret not going. My parents went a few years ago and had the best time. Their dream came true, they got to watch Notre Dame play a football game in Ireland. I am so happy for them that they took the opportunity to go on that trip.

One day I will be there I don't care if I have to pay  my way with pennies, I will be there. I will take it all in, and I know I will be smiling the whole time. Until then, I will keep dreaming.


May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand

No comments: