Thursday, February 6, 2014

Timing

I firmly believe that timing is everything.

People come into your life at certain times for a reason.

Doors open when they need to open. 

You walk through those open doors when you know it's right.

Three years ago a friend of the family asked if I was still looking for a job because the volunteer coordinator position at her hospice company was opening up. I shrugged, applied, and interviewed. I was 23 years old when I got that job. It was my first, real, 8-5 position. At the time I knew nothing about hospice or really anything about the medical field. But it was the right position for me at the time.

I met amazing people. I learned an incredible amount about the end of life and about grief. But most importantly, I learned the beauty of basic human interaction. 

I met some of my best friends. I was mentored by strong, smart women and I was able to be a mentor for others. I was influenced by the stories of laughter, tears, forgiveness, and grief.

My coworkers surrounded me with support during everything that happened with my dad. They were constantly praying for him and asking about him. Many of them didn't know, though, that for the last 5 months I have been silently suffering. Although my dad is doing well, it was both terrifying and overwhelming to be working for a hospice knowing my dad had cancer. In one of our team meetings, we discussed a new patient who was the same age and had the same diagnosis as my dad. I couldn't look at anyone in the eye. I wanted to cry. I knew then that it was time to move on.

My new job opportunity came at a perfect time. My dad is getting better, and I am back to feeling my normal self. But it's time for me to spread my wings a little, to take what I've learned and spread it in a new setting.

I'm going to miss it. I'm going to miss them. But it's time. The time is right and the time is now.

Next week is going to be hard on me. As ready as I am, I'm packing up three years of memories with some of the most amazing people I have ever known. Maggie, Peggy, Christina, Amy, Carol, Sue, Lynn and many others are some of the best friends I've ever had. 

Timing is everything. When you know, you know. 

No comments: