Friday, December 27, 2013

End of the Year Book Survey



1.  Best book read in 2013.

I have to give it to Diary of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks. It was a fantastic read. I can't say enough good things about it. It was creative, witty, and interesting.

2.  Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more, but didn’t:

Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz MurrayI was so excited about this book, I love a good memoir and inspirational story, but this was mostly a let down. It was too depressing, and although there was a happy ending, I had to force myself to read it.

3.  Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013.

I Want it Now! A Memoir of Life on the Set of Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory by Julia Cole, who played Veruca Salt. I really wanted to read it, but wasn't sure what to expect. I loved it! If you are a fan of Willy Wonka, you need to read this book. It gives a wonderful sneak peek into the behind the scenes world of the movie!

4.  Book you read in 2013 that you recommended the most?

I recommended almost every book I read!

5.  Best series you discovered in 2013.

I don't really read series. Not since Hunger Games, anyway. However, I did read If I Stay and Where She Went (If I Stay #2),  by Gayle Forman. Loved these a whole bunch, and am excited to see how the movie will be!

6.  Favorite new author discovered in 2013.

Rainbow Rowell. She is an incredible young adult author. I look forward to reading more of her work!

7.  Best book that was out of your comfort zone.

Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin SloanI don't usually read mystery/adventure books. This one was different for me, but I enjoyed it!

8.  Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2013.

Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreightI read this so fast because I wanted to know what happened. People say it's a copy of Gone Girl, and while there are similarities, I was still intrigued.

9.  Book read in 2013 that you are most likely to reread.

I rarely reread books, but I would probably reread Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, or Diary of an Imaginary Friend.

10.  Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013.




11.  Most memorable character of 2013.

Eleanor.

12.  Most beautifully written book of 2013.

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. This is another one of my very favorites of the year. It is a beautiful story of two unlikely people becoming close.

13.  Book that had the greatest impact on you.

Oh, a lot of them! Maybe The Repeat year.

14.  Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to read.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?  By Mindy Kaling was released in 2011. I don't really watch her show, but I decided to read the book because I do think she's pretty funny. I cracked up reading it and am kicking myself for not reading it sooner, AND for not watching her show. I'm actually hoping to watch it on Netflix this weekend.

15.  Favorite passage/quote.
"I needed to tell him, silently, that things might change, grow, or fail, but that life did go on. That we were all part of some great cycle, some pattern that it was only God's purpose to understand"- Me Before You

"And as for this knowing what the future holds- well, it sucks, and I'd be one to know, right? It can make you feel trapped at first, like you don't have the power to change anything. But you have to get past that. You have to get to a place where you realize you're the only one who has been standing in your way all along"- The Repeat Year

"All I do when we're apart is think about you, and all I do when we're together is panic. Because every second feels so important. And because I'm so out of control, I can't help myself. I'm not even mine anymore, I'm yours, and what if you decide that you don't want me?"- Eleanor and Park

"Write your own part. It is the only way I've gotten anywhere. It is much harder work, but sometimes you have to take destiny into your own hands. It forces you to think about what your strengths really are, and once you find them, you can showcase them, and no one can stop you"- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?"

"No one, no one truly knows what is possible until they go and do it".- Breaking Night

"Because throughout it all, you are still, always, you: beautiful and bruised, known and unknowable. And isn't that-just you-enough?"- This Song Will Save Your Life




16.  Shortest and longest books read in 2013.

Shortest: If I Stay (201 pages)
Longest: Me Before You (488 pages)

17.  Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to someone about it.

Honestly, probably The Storyteller, by Jodi Picoult, which I am just finishing. It has a whole heap of information about the Holocaust and concentration camps, and it's been a while since I have immeresed myself in that. It's so interesting....depressing, but interesting.

18.  Favorite relationship in a book read in 2013 (romance, friendship, etc.)

ELEANOR AND PARK. Hands down.

19.  Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you read previously.

The Storyteller, Jodi Picoult.  I went through a phase where all I read was Jodi Picoult, but then I got sick of it because I began to easily predict what would happen. The Storyteller is a real winner, though. I highly recommend it!

20.  Best book you read in 2013 based solely on a recommendation.

Ten Girls To Watch. Shari recommended it, it was the first book I ever read on my kindle. It was fabulous!

21.  Genre you read the most in 2013.
Young Adult, probably. I love them

22.  Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013.

I don't typically get crushes on book characters. None from the books this year really ring a bell.

23.  Best 2013 debut.

Not Sure!

24.  Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013.

Diary of an Imaginary Friend.

25.  Book that was the most fun to read.
Probably The Repeat Year or This Song Will Save Your Life.

26.  Book that made you cry.

Homefront, Kristen Hannah. Oh golly.

27.  Best book you read that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out.
Not sure if any of them were overlooked!

1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

What a fun survey!

Random thoughts:

1. I loved Eleanor & Park, too, and can't wait to read Fangirl. Everyone I know who's read it has adored the story!

2. Adding Diary of an Imaginary Friend to my to-read list!

3. Love the Mindy Kaling quote!

4. So glad you enjoyed Ten Girls to Watch!

(Wow, lots of exclamation points in this comment!)