Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Weight Loss Wednesday: Week 3

Well kids, I have lost about 4 lbs. I say about because if you remember correctly, I did not weigh myself exactly when I started, which was about a month ago now. But this morning I stepped on the scale pre breakfast and pre workout, and it looks like I've lost about 4 lbs since I first weighed myself. This is good. I am happy with it. I was a little discouraged last night, thinking maybe I had lost more, but after thinking about it more, I know that this is going to take time. I also know it takes women longer to lose weight. I also know that my low vitamin d levels make it harder. I also know that I am building muscle. So yeah, I will get there. I'm happy, and I'm feeling better than ever, which I think is what counts.

Workout Log
  • Thursday 7/11 I didn't wake up early to work out because I knew I was going to be going to the Bruno Mars concert and would be getting home very late Thursday night. But, I assure you I burned at least 200 calories dancing at the concert. They should make that an option on myfitnesspal - concert dancing.
  • Friday 7/12 We got home around 11:30/12 on Thursday. And I was so pumped from the concert I didn't fall asleep until about 2. So there was no way I was getting up at 5. And I couldn't work out after work because I had plans with some old friends.
  • Saturday 7/13  I rarely sleep in on Saturday's anymore, but I was exhausted from a busy Thursday and Friday so I slept until 10:30. Finally headed to the gym around 12 and did day 3 of couch to 5k training, and biked 4 miles plus did weights for my arms.
  • Sunday 7/14 Woke up to the news about Cory Monteith. Let myself lay in bed for a few hours reading articles and watching videos. Then went to the gym to let out some of my emotion. Did 20 minutes on the bike at high resistance, 15 minutes on the nustep at high workload, and 12 minutes on the treadmill at 3.5 speed and 4.0 incline. Burned about 350 calories. Then did weights.
  • Monday 7/15 Zumba! I missed it last week due to Gilda's Club volunteering, so I was glad to be back. Always a good workout. We had a different instructor this week, and she is out of her damn mind. I mean, I loved her energy, but she did not stop once and went super fast.
  • Tuesday 7/16 I went to bed way too late Monday so I didn't get up early. I was bummed. I hate working out after work. I was dreading it. I thought of a million excuses to not go. In fact, as I Was stuck in traffic just a few miles from the gym, I went to put my hair up and realized I didn't have a hair tie. So I thought welp, can't work out, no hair tie. But then I forced myself to turn into the Rite Aid parking lot and pick up some hair ties. I took my sweet time getting ready in the locker room before I finally headed up to the exercise area. I got on the treadmill and did Week 2, Day 1 of Couch to 5k training. I once again thought I was gonna die. I am not and never have been a runner, so even running for 1:30 straight kills me. And that's what week 2 is, a rotation between running for 1:30, walking for 2 minutes for a total of 30 minutes. But I did it. I did have to stop twice very briefly just to catch my breath, but I did it! I'm a little worried about the 5k because I run at a very slow pace and am just under 2 miles now, but I know I'll get there eventually. I followed up my training with 3 miles on the bike and then did weights for my arms.
  • Wednesday 7/17 Swimming. Did my routine of 2 laps freestyle, 2 laps kickboard, 2 laps breast stroke, 2 laps kickboard, 2 laps backstroke, 2 laps kickboard, repeat. I am getting faster, and I take less breaks.
Tips and Tricks I've Learned
  • If you don't like to eat breakfast, keep something at work. I hate making breakfast at home because I like to just get up, get showered and dressed and leave. So I keep oatmeal at work and make it when I come in. On the days I work out in the morning, I eat a banana at home and then oatmeal or yogurt with granola at work.
  • Swimming will make you really, really hungry. So if you're swimming as a workout, fill your lunchbox with extra healthy snacks for your day. Cucumbers, peppers, almonds, carrots, and apples are some of my favorites and are all very low in calories.
  • Don't let yourself "starve" because then you will overeat. If I am hungry at 11 am, I eat some granola, fruit, or almonds and drink a ton of water. It holds me over until lunch.
  • Eat slowly.
  • You CAN say no to sweets and treats at work! People will understand, you won't offend the person who brought donuts in for a meeting.
  • Bring a book, kindle, or ipad to the gym. It is fun to read on the bike. Most other machines aren't good for reading. I tried it on the treadmill the other day and got dizzy, but the bike, you're pretty stationary except your legs. When I'm reading on the bike, I don't even realize how fast time goes by. Pretty soon I've gone 4 miles.
  • No one is actually looking at you at the gym. This has always been a fear of mine, that people are looking at me and judging me. But they aren't. Everyone is in their own little world.
  • If you listen to music while you work out, you can sort of hide in your own world. I forget other people are around me when I'm jamming.
    • Speaking of music....I don't make a playlist for the gym, I just turn my Ipod on and let the music come to me. Here are some songs I've found to be helpful during a workout
Florence and The Machines, Shake It Off
Fall Out Boy, My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark
Fall Out Boy, Dead on Arrival
Casey Abrams, Get Out
Mumford And Sons, I Will Wait
Alex Clare, Too Close
The Band Perry, Done
Kelly Clarkson, Walk Away
Imagine Dragons, Radioactive

Other Changes I am Noticing
  • I 100% feel better about myself. In fact, today when I got dressed, I thought to myself...wow. I look good.
  • I am helping other people. I text/tweet three of my friends in the mornings when I get up to get them up too or to just say good luck or hope you get a good workout in! It is so helpful to know there are other people who are up and working out! And Sam has started going to the gym at her office after work.
  • I can literally feel my muscles getting stronger. It's a strange feeling to be honest, haha. Yesterday I flexed my thigh muscle on accident and went "damn". My arms are stronger too. I'll be curious to see if that affects my softball playing
  • I am getting faster at swimming.
  • Even though I am not a fast runner and I tire easily, I wouldn't have been able to do what I'm doing now four weeks ago.
  • I'm able to push myself hard on the bike and get 3-4 miles in at a high resistance.
There was a moment, on the treadmill during my training, when I thought "I'm not going to be able to do this. There's no way. I should try to get out of the 5k". And then something snapped and I changed that to "No. You CAN do it. Even if you are the last one to cross the finish line". So guys, if I am the last person to cross the finish line on October 12th, please don't laugh at me.

That's it for this week!

4 comments:

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said... Add Reply

Yay congrats on the weight loss! Don't feel so disheartened that it seems small coz muscles weigh more and you've been working out a lot.

Nice tips! Will blog my WLW later.

Kate @ Another Clean Slate said... Add Reply

Awesome! I always eat my breakfast when I get to work because I don't like eating first thing in the morning.

Samantha May said... Add Reply

That's awesome!

I've lost 25 pounds in about 8 months. Hang in there and keep working! It will pay off :)

Lizz said... Add Reply

HECK yes bb girl!!!!