Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tuesday Tunes: Mandisa

I have a long history of being a fan of Mandisa. It started when she was a contestant on American Idol. Which, as most of you know, is my favorite TV show. That was back in 2006. Mandisa caught media attention on the show because after leaving the room for her audition, Simon commented "do we have to get a bigger stage this year?". Between the taping of that show and the top 24 reveal, Mandisa saw that episode air on TV. So when she sat in front of the judges to learn her fate, she forgave Simon, saying that Jesus would do the same thing.

Mandisa has never been shy about her relationship with Jesus and her strong life as a Christian. That's one of the reasons I connect with her. She loves God and loves the blessings in her life, and she's bold enough to talk about it.

Post Idol, Mandisa's Christian music career took off. She's been extremely successful. She's been nominated for three Grammy's and six Dove awards, gone on crazy tours, and wrote a book about her experience on Idol as well as her weight and food addiction.

Ding ding ding. Reason number two why I connect with Mandisa in a major way. Food. The first time I got my hands on her book, I cried throughout nearly every chapter, because she was speaking the words I felt, I had just never known how to express them. It wasn't until I read that book that I realized I wasn't alone in my battle with weight and emotional eating.

Mandisa started a weight loss journey after writing her book, and has lost over 100 pounds since. Her music even speaks of the freedom she feels from breaking her food addiction. She has served as an inspiration to so many people, including myself. I have tried and failed the whole weight loss journey several times, but as you all know I'm back on it now, and Mandisa continues to be one of my biggest inspirations.

I have sort of a personal connection with this amazing woman, although I have not seen her in quite some time. But back in my senior year of college, I randomly got a myspace message from her. It was a response to a message I had sent her almost two years prior but had never gotten an answer. (I wasn't upset and didn't even think twice about it- I figured she was too busy. I had completely forgotten that I had even sent it). Anyways, we became fast myspace message buds. She encouraged me through some things I was really struggling with, mainly my relationship with God and trusting in his plan.

I have had the honor of meeting Mandisa four times and I can tell you she's one of the brightest, kindest people I've ever had the honor of meeting. It's been a few years, because every time she has a show in the Michigan area I can't go, but I'm still a fan.

I tell you ALL of this to tell you: she has a new single out today. And if you listen to the Christian radio stations, you've probably already heard it. But if you don't, I'll tell you about it. It's called Overcomer. Unfortunatley it's not on Youtube yet, but you can find it in Spotify (that link takes you directly to the song) if you're a spotify user and want to try the song out. You can also preview it on Itunes. Mandisa herself sent me the link to the video after she read this blog :) Here it is! Give it a listen!



So, what is the song about? Mandisa recently did an quick interview to answer that question, and she said it was for her brothers and sisters in Christ to know that they have already won their battles, of whatever it is they are going through,  God is there, and now all they have to do is fight every day.

Wow.

I love that message. I need that message. We all do, I'm sure. Sometimes I get so caught up in my challenges and problems that I forget that God is there, watching me and giving me the strength to fight through it. Here are the lyrics to Mandisa's song.


Staring at a stop sign
Watching people drive by
T Mac on the radio
Got so much on your mind
Nothing's really going right
Looking for a ray of hope

Whatever it is you may be going through
I know He's not gonna let it get the best of you

You're an overcomer
Stay in the fight ‘til the final round
You're not going under
‘Cause God is holding you right now
You might be down for a moment
Feeling like it's hopeless
That's when He reminds You
That you're an overcomer
You're an overcomer

Everybody's been down
Hit the bottom, hit the ground
Oh, you're not alone
Just take a breath, don't forget
Hang on to His promises
He wants You to know

The same Man, the Great I am
The one who overcame death
Is living inside of You
So just hold tight, fix your eyes
On the one who holds your life
There's nothing He can't do
He's telling You


How inspired are you right now after reading those words and hearing that song! It's so powerful! The first time I heard it I was full of joy and strength. It's the kind of song that I'll be playing when I need a pick me up. I mean the lyrics themselves are enough to help you through a rough moment- you're an overcomer! I'm an overcomer!

Thank you, Mandisa, for this powerful song to help us when we need it.

Go grab Overcomer on Itunes
Follow Mandisa on Twitter
Like Mandisa on Facebook


No comments: