Saturday, June 29, 2013

Kelly Freaking Clarkson.

Kelly Clarkson is my favorite artist. She just is. No doubt about it.

I had the opportunity to see her live on Friday night. Although things didn't go quite as planned, and the show got cancelled 5 songs in because of the horrible rain/wind storm, I was still happy to be there and woke up the next morning feeling grateful for being able to see her live. Her voice is bananas.

I get teased sometimes for loving Kelly. But I don't really care. Either people will understand or they won't. The thing is, Kelly's music has provided the soundtrack of my life for the past 11 years. I was a sophomore in high school when she won Idol, and I was intrigued then by her bold, bubbly personality and killer vocals. Ever since then, I've been addicted to her music. She's the first artist to get me to really love music and lyrics, and I started writing after I heard her first album.

Although I've been a fan since the very first time I saw her audition for Idol, It was really My December, her third album, that "changed" me. I see you rolling your eyes, and I'm just going to ignore you. See, at that point in my life, I was not okay. I felt alone, confused, sad, etc. I have a very clear memory of buying her album at midnight when it came out...and hearing the songs...hearing the pain, and, for the first time in a very long time, I didn't feel alone. She sang the words that I felt, and that was what I needed to know that I was going to be okay.

Kelly is a very brave person. She's someone who has gone through a hell of a lot of struggle yet remains strong, confident, and stays out of trouble. she's goofy, relatable, loves her fans and her music.

So I love Kelly because of the gifts she has given me...and she doesn't even know she's done it. I'm glad I got to see her perform last night and I look forward to the next time she's in town.

This may be a little "Tuesday Tunes- ish", but I am going to post a song from each of her albums. If you've never fully listened to a Kelly song ( and if that's the case, where have you been for the past 11 years?), please choose one or two and give them a shot. And let me know what you think!

Album: Thankful, 2003
Song: Low


Album: Breakaway, 2004
Song: Addicted
Album: My December, 2007
Song: Maybe
Album: All I Ever Wanted, 2009
Song: All I Ever Wanted
Album: Stronger, 2011
Song: Honestly
Album: Greatest Hits, 2012 (Three new songs added to this album)
Song: Catch My Breath

So cheers to Kelly, to 11 years of music, and to getting through hard times together.

2 comments:

Shari said... Add Reply

Well, you already know how I feel about Kelly, so I'll just say "ditto" to all of this. She has a gift for touching lives through her music like words cannot explain. I'm so glad you got to see her on Friday - even if only for a bit. There's nothing like a KC concert to put a smile on your face! :)

Elizabeth Rosalyn said... Add Reply

Now that's a Kelly Clarkson show for the memory books! :D