Thursday, February 28, 2013

4 months.

Dear Ryan;
4 Months? 4 stinking months? You are growing so fast. You look different every single time I see you.

February was exciting. Your beautiful mommy had her 31st birthday. Your silly uncle Jon and Aunt Sara came into town for a big event- your Baptism. But before we go there, I must tell you that we all had a lot of laughs that weekend, mostly because of you. Some of us had dinner out together on Saturday night. Your mom and dad, Uncle Jon and Aunt Sara, friends John and Kristen, and me. At the end of dinner your mom went to change your diaper. While she was gone, a band came to sing her happy birthday. We had to tell them to come back, that she wasn't at the table. A few minutes later we heard the band again- this time with your mommy in front of them, carrying you. She looked a little scared. As the band was singing and cheering, your mom yelled "I HAVE POOP ON MY HANDS!". You see, Ryan, you made quite a mess, and your mom needed help in the bathroom. We were all laughing- what timing you had! Your mom and I went back to the bathroom to finish changing you and to clean you up. We giggled through most of it, and you giggled right back. I will never forget it.

Now, your Baptism... What a beautiful day that was. You didn't even cry as you were placed in the Holy Water. I was so proud of you for that. I know you don't understand the meaning of Baptism now, nor will you understand it for many years to come, but it is a very special ceremony to celebrate your faith. As your aunt, I proudly watched and made a promise to myself and to God that I would teach you about Jesus, and help you discover God and God's promises to you.

I learned something new at your Baptism, and that is that there is a Saint Megan.  I never knew that. I did some research on the gal and it appears she is the patron saint of abused people.Which actually fits, because that's something that I try to do- speak up for those who can't. I hope that's something you learn, too- to be a friend to all, and to help others through their hard times to know that life can get better.

One time this month I popped over to your house for your visit. I was shocked to see you were sitting up in a little bubble chair, all by yourself. Clancy came over and licked your face, and you just stared right back at him. That was when I realized how quickly you are growing. I can see you turning into a little person.

I also had the privilege of sitting next to you in Church one time this month. We sat in the back because your mommy knew you were sleepy and she was afraid you were going to cry. You barely made any sounds- so well behaved. At one point during Church, I felt a tug on my shirt. I thought it was your mommy, but it was you. You grabbed my hand and put it directly in your mouth. It was kind of gross, but also adorable. I applauded your great behavior.

I love you, Ryan. This was a great month, full of family and laughter and faith. I feel so lucky to be a part of your life and when things settle down at work I will be able to see you more- and be more amazed by your growth. You make us all so happy.


1 comment:

Shari said... Add Reply

Four months already?! How is that even possible? Time really does fly!