Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Jack and White "Gemini" Ep


Season 7 American Idol finalist Brooke White has teamed up with talented singer/songwriter Jack Martranga for her latest project. A wise choice, and a beautiful collaboration that turned into the duo now known as "Jack and White".

I've always been a big fan of Brooke and have been anxiously waiting for new music from her since her 2008 album "high hopes and heartbreak" This ep does not dissapoint. Brooke fans, and music fans in general, will dig this ep. It's some of the best music I've heard in a long time. The first word that comes to my mind when I think of this ep? Smoky. What does that mean? I don't really know. A combination of soulful, sweet, rich, and filling.

The title track, Gemini, was bouncing around the internet for a while before released. I have to say, I wasn't a fan of it when I first heard it. I got bored while listening...but it sounds much better now. I like the use of instruments here. It actually caught my attention right away because I feel the same way as Brooke when she sings "been walking a fine line between darkness and sunshine....im fixed but I'm broken, guarded but open". Ah Brooke! You get me. Thank you for this song.

Double Trouble is a fun song. Great sound and harmonies (And by harmonies I mean Brooke singing over Brooke-makes a really interesting sound). I can totally picture a crowded room clapping along to the beat of this song. "Love to stay, tons of fun, thanks for nothing, gotta run".

Inside Outside. There's so many great things about this song. Instrumentally perfect. The lyrics are incredible, Brooke really pours her whole heart out here. Also, I know Brooke is a big fan of the Kings of Leon song "Use Somebody", and I like to think that the oooooh's in Inside Outside match the OOOOOh's in Use Somebody. :) "I'm scared of heights but I'm not afraid to fly."

Telephone Games is one of those songs all of us can relate too. A girl in love, but the guy is just stringing her along. Another amazing song lyric wise. Every line is like a little gift for my ears. Brooke's voice is flawless, especially in this song. "are you loving someone new? has a change of heart changed you? maybe I'm going insane...but when the summer turns to fall, I won't be waiting for your call".

Smoke and Mirrors is different than the other songs, in a good way. The beats make it a jammin song. I instantly go into rockstar mode when I hear this song. Love the sass in the lyrics and vocals, even in the instruments- especially love when Brooke sings the line "guess what, I know all your secrets". I think this is my favorite song. I've listened to it 17 times already, in 24 hours.

Feathers reminds me why I liked Brooke in the first place- sweet, simple, but passionate and soulful. The chorus sums up Brooke's love for music "writing a song, make it up as we go along do do do do do, free as the birds as they hum along do do do do do". It's so...Brooke White. And I love that. I love that she is true to herself while growing as an artist.

Brooke has truly outdone herself. I was hesitant to purchase this EP, and then I listened to it for three hours straight. I was thinking about it all day today at work, how I wanted to go home and listen again. Because every time I do I discover something new that I love- and I think that is one of the best gifts and artist can give listeners. So thank you, Jack and White. Keep making music. Smoky music :)


PS- Last night I tweeted about Brooke's ep, and she reponded to me with this "well hey Megan, nice to see your face! So glad that you are diggin' the record!". Brooke has never tweeted me before. HOW DID SHE KNOW WHO I WAS? This seriously boggles my mind. Does she really remember me from 2008? Is that possible? Or did she look at my profile on twitter and put it together from there? I am intrigued by this.





2 comments:

Shari said... Add Reply

I am so excited to listen to this!! :)

Marcus said... Add Reply

I love the songs Smoke and Mirrors, Gemini, and Double Trouble. It's so sad that it's so hard to find lyrics to any of these songs on the internet. I really hope Jack and White gains fame because their music is so great! I'm also planning to make a lyrical piece of art on canvas with the opening from Gemini.