Thursday, March 25, 2010

Where Did March Go?

It's March 25th. Can you believe that? Where has the time gone? Only three more months left in the school year! This makes me really sad. I'm not ready to leave this kids yet. They have become such an important part of my life. I've come to love each and every single one of them. I'm going to cry my eyes out on the last day of school. They are just SO funny. For example, this morning when one of my students YELLED "have you guys heard whats going on with the health care bill? Them republicans are CRAZY!".

This week has been very interesting. We've been doing Iowa testing the past three days...which means that from 7:55 to 10:40 AM, the kids are testing. Then we start first hour at 10:45, and just have shorter class periods. It's been nice to have shorter classes, but the days still seem to be going even longer.

Last night the four of us went to the Red Wings game. I'm so glad we went, it was fun. It happened to be a game that Lauren was attending, as well as my sister and her husband's family. In fact, my sister's husband's nephew got stand on the ice during the national anthem and participate in a shootout after the first period. Adorable, little Gumbel out on the ice :) Anyways, it was fun and good to see Lauren, my sister, and Dave. Go wings!

I've got two new books to read, both recommended to me by my dear friend Jena. One is called Piece of Cake, a memoir by Cupcake Brown. There's a lot going on in this book, but a constant theme of child abuse, sexual abuse, drugs, and alcohol. I'm about 200 pages in, and I've already cried, laughed, put it down out of anger, and refused to let go because I was so involved. It has me emotionally attached the same way that the books A Child Called It or Push did. It may be even harder to read now, because I know so many of my kids are dealing with issues that reflect the ones in this book. I do like it so far, though. The other book is called Firefly Lane. I'll start it when I am finished with Piece of Cake, but it looks promising :) Plus, Jena's a genius, and I trust her opinion.

This weekend should be pretty quiet, I'm just ready to go home for a week and 1/2 for spring break.

Oh, and since Idol official sucks this year, here's a video from one of my faves. Look at her go.

2 comments:

Shari said... Add Reply

You mentioned what an imporatant part of your life the kids have become ... that goes both ways, you know. Look at all you've done for them and how you've been such a positive influence. You have truly changed their lives for the better, in ways even the kids may not even understand yet. I know I've said this before, but it truly is such a special and amazing thing that you're doing.

When does your spring break begin? :)

Anonymous said... Add Reply

I can't remember if I told you how "A Piece of Cake" turns out. I haven't read the book (because it only recently became available), but I saw an interview with Cupcake Brown on TV. Her strength was amazing! So I know what happened to her.
Firefly Lane won't really affect you til maybe a hundred pages from the end. Then it will!
I read "The Help." I have MANY MANY MANY things to say about a society that could trust a person with its children, then fire that same person out of spite by falsely accusing them of stealing silverware. I have MANY MANY things to say about racism in general; none of them are fit for the comment page of your blog. Thank you for an incredible book recommendation.