Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Allison Iraheta: Just Like You

What do you get when you combine the musical styles of Kelly Clarkson, Pink, and Ashlee Simpson?One of the best pop/rock female artists of the past few years: Little Miss Allison Iraheta. I guess it's no surprise that I am head over heels in love with her album "Just Like You", since I was a fan of Allison's on American Idol. (Homegirl should have WON). However, I will admit to being terrified that her label would spin her into an annoying teenage popstar singing about Jay-Z songs. (Heeeey Miley). I was wrong. There's only one song I would happily take off the album, and that is "Robot Love". That has nothing to do with Allison or her music, just the fact that I can't personally connect to the lyrics. However, I'm sure girls her age will. Overall, Allison's ablum is incredible...probably one of the best non winner Idol releases, and outstanding for a first album. I think it gives Allison plenty of time to continue to rock out. She didn't go all out with the rock on this album, which may dissapoint some, but I find her unqiue blend of pop songs and mature ballads perfect.

Allison hooks in her target audience with the catchy, rock edge songs "Friday I'll Be Over You", "D is for Dangerous", and "Holiday". She shows her maturity with "Trouble Is", "Scars" and "Still Breathing". Anyone who has seen Allison perform live knows that she is a born performer. When she's out there rocking out I forget she's only 17. She will perfect these songs when she performs them live, I have no doubt about that. I'm so excited to see where she goes from here, this is not the last time we'll hear her name.

No comments: