Friday, December 4, 2009

09 Resolutions- Fail or Win?

Someone (and right now I can't remember who it was, so I apologize) suggested that we look back on our new year's resolutions from last year and check our progress.

Mine were pretty simple:

1. Do more to help out my mom and dad. Over break I have realized just how much my parents have done for me and how much they love me, and also how much I love them. So in 09 and beyond I want to make sure that I am doing more things to help them out- either by making things easier for them or just making them happy, because lord knows they deserve it.

I think I did pretty well at this, especially when I was living at home for the summer. I made dinner and cleaned as often as I could, before I had my nanny job. I love my parents!

2. Keep a positive attitude. There is no doubt in my mind that this year is going to be rough- financially. However, I am going to make a promise to myself to just start off each day by thinking it will be a good day- because I believe that will help.

I tried my best to keep a positive attitude. I had nervous breakdowns about my future, but other than that I'd say I was pretty positive. I have kept an open mind when it comes to the new way of living this year and that has really worked out for me...and for the most part, when I've been REALLY stressed, I've remained positive. Except for today when my grumpy butt just needs to shut up.

3. Get back in touch with people I have lost touch with. This is so important to me especially because in the fall I pushed so many people away due to school. That won't happen again, because I felt alone so many times. And there are people that I am better off without, I realize that now. So I have to be careful.

Ummm yeah. I failed. I mean, the people I didn't need anymore and who were constantly bringing me down, I didn't keep in touch with, and that's probably for the best. However, I also failed at contacting some of the most important people in my life who I have let drift away. Get on that, Megan.

4. Write more. In addition to pushing people away, I sort of pushed writing away. I need it back in my life .

I've def been writing more. I wrote a ton of songs/poems in 09. I'm hoping to pull a few more out before Christmas. Plus, I started this blog which was a huge outlet for my writing.

5. Meet new people and get more involved at St. Tom's. My anxieties can't hold me back any more, I have got to step out and meet new people, be more involved and build stronger relationships with the people at St. Tom's.

Fail. I got busy with the stress of senior year and my internship that I did not focus on this. However, this year I've met so many new friends, and I'm really proud of myself. It would be easy for me to slip into the comfort of being alone and avoiding people, but I've pushed myself.

6. Last, but most important. Lose weight. I have been saying this for so long and I did so good over the summer- lost about 20 lbs. Now I've gained that back, and I am tired of it. I am going to restart my weight loss journey my space and seriously write in it at least 3 times a week. I am ready for this. I am going to need some help from people but I know who to ask, and they are all backups. Plus Lauren, since she lives with me and I know she will keep me in line. There are several others on this journey with me so I am excited about that. Ready?

I've done so well with this, I can't even tell you. I've had my low points for sure but for the most part I have a completely different attitude toward food and my struggles with food. It is something I live with daily, but I am so thankful that I can recognize my own struggles and be able to fix things.

So, did you keep your resolutions?

Although I'm sure it's coming any day now, right now I'm so thankful that there is no snow yet. I don't mind the snow and the cold necessarily, but I do mind the driving and how long it lasts. Last year I hated waking up every single morning to several inches of snow. We were snowed in for a week and 1/2 in January. I don't miss that at all. I don't think it will be that bad this year because I'm on the east side of the state and because it hasn't snowed once yet, but still...it can wait. I don't mind at all.

I woke up in a grumpy mood today and it's stayed since then. I can tell I've been taking it out on the kids and that I've been irritated very easily. I need a pick me up and to snap out of this. It's not healthy for me or my kids. Ugggghhh.

Sorry this isn't much of a post. We've got a crazy weekend ahead so I'll update soon. Love ya'll.

No comments: